Juicy, flavorful ground beef patties nestled in a bed of mushrooms and onions, smothered in a savory mushroom gravy—this recipe for Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak is a true winner! With just a few simple steps and the convenience of your crock pot, you'll have a hearty and satisfying dinner that is perfect to serve with your favorite side dishes!
Salisbury steak is a popular American dish that dates back to the late 19th century. It was named after a physician who believed in the health benefits of a high-protein diet. Traditionally, Salisbury steak consists of seasoned ground beef patties served with a rich gravy and is popular all over the globe as easy comfort food.
Lean ground beef forms the base of the steak patties while enhancing the flavor with minced onion, Italian seasoning, ketchup, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and a touch of garlic. These ingredients come together to create tender beef patties that are juicy and packed with a savory and overall beefy flavor. The addition of panko bread crumbs and milk helps to keep the steaks tender and moist.
Making Salisbury steak in a crock pot is the best method for several reasons. The slow cooker allows for a long, slow cooking process, which helps to develop and intensify the flavors of the beef. The Salisbury steak patties become incredibly tender and juicy as they gently simmer in the flavorful gravy. Once the patties are browned, you simply assemble everything in the slow cooker and let it do the work for you. There's no need for constant monitoring or stirring. The mushrooms, onions, and seasonings have time to infuse their essence into the patties and the savory gravy with little effort on your part!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This recipe delivers a comforting and homestyle meal with minimal effort. With just a few simple steps and the convenience of the crock pot, you can enjoy a hearty and flavorful comfort food dinner.
- The combination of juicy ground beef patties, savory mushroom gravy, and tender mushrooms and onions creates a perfect blend of savory and umami flavors.
- The slow cooking process in the crock pot allows the flavors to develop and marry together, resulting in incredibly tender and succulent Salisbury steak.
- Whether you prefer to serve the Salisbury steak over creamy mashed potatoes, fluffy rice, or even buttered noodles, you can easily tailor it to your taste and can change it up each time you make it!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Lean Ground Beef - The star ingredient of the Salisbury steak, lean ground beef provides the base for the flavorful patties.
- Minced Garlic & Onion - Minced garlic adds a subtle, savory note, while the minced onion adds a hint of sweetness and enhances the overall taste of the steak.
- Panko Bread Crumbs - The addition of panko bread crumbs helps bind the ingredients together and provides a light, crispy texture to the Salisbury steak. It also helps to retain moisture.
- Seasonings - Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper are the perfect trio to enhance the flavor profile of the dish.
- Egg - Acts as a binder, helping to hold the ground beef and other ingredients together.
- Ketchup - Adds a touch of tanginess and subtle sweetness to the recipe.
- Dijon Mustard - Brings a unique tanginess and depth of flavor while adding a slight kick.
- Worcestershire Sauce - A key ingredient that adds umami flavor.
- Milk - Serves as a moisture agent, keeping the steak patties tender and moist throughout the cooking process.
- Mushrooms - Provides a meaty and earthy flavor along with texture to the gravy.
- Yellow Onion & Minced Garlic - Form the aromatic base of the mushroom gravy, enhancing the overall richness and flavor.
- Low Sodium Beef Broth - Serves as the liquid base for the mushroom gravy, adding a rich beefy flavor.
- Brown Gravy Mix - Helps to thicken and intensify the flavor of the mushroom gravy.
- Cornstarch Slurry - When combined with water and added to the cooking liquid, cornstarch helps create a smooth and silky consistency.
- Ketchup & Dijon Mustard - These condiments are used in the mushroom gravy to add a hint of tanginess and depth of flavor.
- Black Pepper - Black pepper adds a subtle, pleasant heat to the gravy that compliments the beef patties.
HOW TO MAKE SALISBURY STEAK IN THE SLOW COOKER
Prepare the vegetables: Slice the mushrooms and onions evenly. Arrange them on the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Form the beef patties: Add the steak ingredients to a bowl. Mix with your hands until just combined being sure not to overmix. Form into six hamburger steak patties.
Brown the beef: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef patties on both sides for 2-3 minutes, then place them on top of the mushrooms and onions in the crock pot.
Add the gravy ingredients: To a medium bowl, add the beef broth, gravy mix, ketchup, mustard, black pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined and pour over steaks.
- When forming the Salisbury steak patties, avoid over-mixing the ingredients. Over-mixing can result in dense and tough patties.
- To achieve a beautiful brown crust on the Salisbury steak patties, brown them in a skillet before transferring them to the slow cooker. This step adds flavor and helps to seal in the juices.
- For a richer and more pronounced mushroom flavor. Sauté the sliced mushrooms in a skillet before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Create a cornstarch slurry by whisking the cornstarch and water together BEFORE adding it to the cooking liquid. This ensures the cornstarch disperses evenly and prevents clumps from forming in the gravy.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, you can either use the microwave or gently warm it on the stovetop. Add a splash of beef broth or water to prevent it from drying out.
Freezing: To freeze, place the cooled leftovers in airtight freezer-safe containers or zip-top freezer bags. Frozen Salisbury steak can be stored for up to 2-3 months. To thaw, transfer the frozen portion to the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Place the sliced mushrooms and onions in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
In a large bowl, add all ingredients for the steaks. Mix until combined, and try not to over-mix. Form into six patties and brown over medium-high heat in a skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Place steaks on top of mushrooms and onions.
Add beef broth, gravy mix, ketchup, mustard, black pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined and pour over steaks.
Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water together. Remove steaks and set aside. Pour cornstarch slurry into the gravy and whisk until well combined. Add steaks back into the sauce and cook for ten minutes or until the gravy thickens.
Sever over mashed potatoes or rice and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.