If you're a fan of classic comfort foods, you can't go wrong with beef tips and gravy! This dish is a beloved staple in many households, and for a good reason - it's hearty, savory, and delicious. This easy slow cooker meal features tender chunks of stew meat that are slow-cooked until they practically melt in your mouth while smothered in a rich, savory gravy. The flavors are warm and comforting, making it a perfect dish for a cozy night in or a family gathering.
While there are a few ways you can make this dish. Slow-cooking the beef allows it to become incredibly tender and juicy while also infusing it with all the flavors of the seasoning and gravy. And since you don't have to hover over the stove, the slow cooker makes this dish easy to prepare and perfect for busy weeknights.
This main course is versatile and can be paired with a variety of starches and sides. Such as classic rice or popular egg noodles. The egg noodles are particularly great, as they absorb the savory gravy and offer a tender and flavorful base for the beef. Mashed potatoes are a comforting and filling option that complements the hearty beef tips perfectly.
And, if you're looking for something a little lighter, you could try serving the beef tips over roasted vegetables, with some corn on the cob, or a bed of greens. No matter what you choose to serve it with, beef tips and gravy will earn a spot on your dinner rotation!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The crock pot makes it incredibly easy to prepare and requires minimal hands-on time.
- The beef becomes incredibly tender and flavorful after being slow-cooked for hours, making it perfect for anyone who loves a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- The rich, savory gravy is full of flavor and pairs perfectly with a variety of starches and sides, making it a versatile dish.
- With just a handful of simple ingredients that are likely already in your pantry. This recipe is an affordable way to create a delicious and comforting meal.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Stew Meat - You can find stew meat already chopped in the grocery store. It tends to be a tougher cut of meat that is best for slow cooking as it allows it to break down and become tender.
- Salt and Black Pepper - These are classic seasonings that add flavor to the stew meat and enhance the overall taste of the dish.
- Dried Thyme - This herb adds a subtle earthy and slightly sweet flavor to the beef that complements the other ingredients in the recipe.
- Garlic - The minced garlic adds a fragrant and savory flavor to the beef and gravy.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix - This pre-packaged mix of dehydrated onions, spices, and other ingredients adds depth and richness to the dish.
- Beef Broth - This liquid is the base for the gravy, providing a savory and meaty flavor that complements the beef.
- Ketchup - This ingredient adds a subtle sweetness and tang to the gravy, helping to balance out the savory flavors.
- Worcestershire Sauce - This sauce adds a rich umami flavor to the beef and gravy, enhancing the overall savory taste of the dish.
- Cornstarch - This ingredient is used to thicken the gravy and give it a smooth, velvety texture.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF TIPS AND GRAVY IN THE CROCK POT
Prepare stew meat: Remove the meat from the package and pat it dry with paper towels. Add it to the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Season the beef: To a mixing bowl, add the salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, onion soup, beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch. Whisk together until well combined, and pour over beef tips.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook the beef on LOW for 7-8 hours.
Remove and serve: Ladle the beef tips with gravy over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes while hot. Enjoy!
- For best results, use a 6-quart slow cooker to ensure that the beef cooks evenly and the flavors meld together properly.
- For a deeper, richer flavor, sear the beef tips in a hot skillet with butter or oil for a few minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water before adding it to the slow cooker. This will help to prevent lumps from forming.
- If you want to add more vegetables to the dish, add diced onions, carrots, or potatoes to the slow cooker.
- To save time, you can prepare the seasoning mixture the night before. Then store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to start cooking.
Storing: Leftover beef tips and gravy can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Reheating: To reheat the leftovers, simply microwave them or warm them up on the stovetop over medium-low heat until heated through. If the gravy has thickened too much after being stored in the refrigerator, add a splash of beef broth or water to thin it out before reheating. To prevent the beef from becoming dry when reheated, add a splash of beef broth or water to the container before reheating.
Freezing: To freeze the beef tips and gravy, allow them to cool completely before transferring them to a freezer-safe container or bag to freeze for up to three months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Place stew meat in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Add salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, onion soup, beef broth, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch to a medium bowl. Whisk together and pour over beef tips.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Serve over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.