Enjoy this mouthwatering recipe for tender and flavorful cube steak made right in your slow cooker! Crock Pot Cube Steak is made with simple ingredients and has a delicious umami flavor infused with the hearty taste of mushrooms and onions that's perfect with any side dish!
Cube steak is a thinly sliced piece of beef that's been tenderized by pounding it with a meat mallet, giving it a textured surface. This tenderization process allows for quicker cooking times and ensures the meat stays juicy and flavorful. It's a versatile cut that can be used in a variety of recipes and can easily be made in the crock pot!
This cube steak recipe is packed with savory umami flavor. The combination of au jus gravy mix, condensed cream of mushroom soup, and beef broth creates a rich base that infuses every bite. Minced garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, onions, and mushrooms add depth and complexity, making it a deliciously tender and flavorful cut of meat.
While cube steak can be cooked in many ways. When cooked in a crock pot, the slow cooking process allows the meat to break down gradually. Resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth texture that soaks up all the flavors. All you need to do is layer the ingredients in the pot, set the timer, and let the crock pot do its magic. It's the perfect solution for busy weeknights and can be served with a side of Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Cube steak is a budget-friendly cut of beef that can be found in any grocery store.
- The rich and savory mushroom and onion sauce is the perfect accompaniment to the meat.
- This recipe is incredibly easy to make, with just a few simple ingredients. Using very minimal prep time, making it the perfect go-to dish for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
- Cube steak pairs well with almost any side dish making it a versatile steak recipe to have on hand.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Cube Steak - This thinly sliced cut of tenderized beef can be found in the beef section of any grocery store.
- Au Jus Gravy Mix - Adds a savory and rich brown gravy flavor to the dish. It also helps to add volume to the cooking liquid.
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup - Adds a creamy and flavorful base to the dish that complements the fresh mushrooms in the dish.
- Beef Broth - Provides even more beefy flavor to the dish and the cooking liquid.
- Black Pepper - Adds a touch of heat and flavor to the dish, enhancing the overall natural beef taste of the cube steak.
- Minced Garlic - Minced garlic adds a pungent and slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with the flavor of stea.
- Dijon Mustard - Gives a tangy and slightly spicy flavor to the dish, which helps to balance the richness of the cream of mushroom soup.
- Worcestershire Sauce - Adds a deep, umami flavor to the dish, and its tangy and slightly sweet taste complements the other ingredients perfectly.
- Mushrooms & Onions - Adds texture, fiber, and nutrients. This will help to balance the richness of the sauce, making this recipe a perfectly balanced meal.
HOW TO MAKE CUBE STEAK IN THE CROCK POT
Layer the onions and cube steak: Slice the onions and evenly distribute half of them on the bottom of the crock pot. Top evenly with cube steak.
Assemble the sauce: To a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the au jus mix, cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, black pepper, garlic, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until fully combined, then pour over cube steaks. Add the rest of the onions on top and top with sliced mushrooms.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours. Remove the steak with tongs and serve over egg noodles. Enjoy!
- For best results, use cube steaks that are about ½ inch thick. They will cook more quickly and are more tender than thicker cuts.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can whisk together 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons of cold water and stir it into the crock pot during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- For a more pronounced mushroom flavor, you can use a combination of brown and white mushrooms or add more mushrooms to the recipe.
- Be sure to buy condensed cream of mushroom soup and not the canned soup variety, as the condensed version will thicken up more easily.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Transfer leftover steak to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Transfer cooled cube steak to a freezer-safe container or a Ziploc bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing the container. The cube steak can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight before reheating.
Reheating: Preheat the oven to 350°F, transfer the steak to an oven-safe dish, add a little bit of water or beef broth to the dish, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
In a 6-quart crock pot, add half the onions on the bottom and place cube steaks on top.
In a medium bowl, add au jus gravy mix, mushroom soup, beef broth, black pepper, garlic, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined and pour over cube steaks.
Top with remaining onions and mushrooms.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Serve over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.