Not many recipes can say that they are both an appetizer and a main course, but this recipe for honey garlic meatballs checks both of those boxes. You can serve them as an appetizer with toothpicks, or you can turn them into a main dish by serving them over cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or even pasta. They’re so versatile and delicious that everyone will love them!
You'll use a bag of frozen pre-cooked meatballs that go into the bottom of the crock pot. Then, an easy sauce is made by mixing together sweet and savory ingredients like honey, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and of course, garlic!
Let the crock pot do all the work in ensuring the meatballs are warmed through and tender while the sauce gets sticky, sweet, and delicious. Remove from the crock pot and add to a serving dish as an appetizer or serve with your favorite sides. No matter how you enjoy these meatballs, we know this easy crock pot meatball recipe will have a permanent spot on your recipe rotation!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s an easy-to-make appetizer or main course that requires minimal effort and preparation.
- This dish is perfect for any occasion – whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for something quick and tasty for dinner.
- The sweet and savory sauce has the perfect balance of flavors – it’s not too sweet but still has a bit of a kick from the garlic.
- It’s an inexpensive dish that will please even the pickiest eaters!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Honey and Brown Sugar - These two ingredients sweeten up the sauce and help thicken it up to a slightly sticky consistency.
- Ketchup - Gives more sweetness to the sauce while adding a balancing acidic tomato flavor.
- Rice Wine Vinegar - Adds a tangy flavor note throughout the sauce.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce - Gives the sauce a salty umami flavor.
- Minced Garlic - Adds classic fresh garlic flavor to the sauce.
- Yellow Onion - Compliments the garlic and adds bold onion flavor.
- Frozen Meatballs - You'll need frozen pre-cooked meatballs. This will help save you time and ensure everything comes out delicious.
- Green Onions - Gives the final dish a pop of fresh green color and additional mild onion flavor.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY GARLIC MEATBALLS IN THE CROCK POT
Pour in meatballs: Open the bag of frozen meatballs and pour them into the bottom of the crock pot. Use a 6-quart crock pot for the best results.
Assemble the sauce: To a medium mixing bowl, add the honey, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and onion in a medium bowl. Mix until well combined and pour over meatballs.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 2½ - 3 hours or LOW for 5 - 6 hours. Stir to combine the sauce ingredients with the meatballs fully.
Garnish and serve: Add the meatballs to a serving dish or dinner plate. Pour additional sauce over the top, then garnish with chopped green onions.
- Make sure you are using pre-cooked meatballs and not raw, as they may not cook all the way through in the amount of time the recipe suggests. If you are using raw meatballs, remove one and cut it in half to see if it is cooked all the way through.
- Make sure your crock pot is large enough for all of the meatballs and sauce. A 6-quart crock pot works best.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce after it’s done cooking, mix one teaspoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl until combined, and then stir it into the sauce.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Once cooled, any leftover meatballs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Freezing: The cooked meatballs and sauce can be frozen together in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to three months. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then heat on the stove or microwave until fully heated through.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Add frozen meatballs to a 6-quart crock pot.
Add honey ketchup, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and onion in a medium bowl. Mix until well combined and pour over meatballs.
Cover and cook on high for 2½ - 3 hours or low for 5 - 6 hours.
Stir before serving and garnish with green onions.
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.