Angel chicken is a perfect combination of tender chicken breasts, creamy sauce, and perfectly cooked pasta. The dish gets its name from the delicate texture of the angel hair pasta, which complements the rich flavors of the sauce. Each bite is a delightful balance of creamy, savory, and slightly tangy flavors that everyone can enjoy.
This recipe is incredibly simple to make using basic grocery store ingredients. No need for a complicated shopping list or hours spent in the kitchen. Cream cheese, butter, cream of chicken soup, Italian dressing mix, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic come together to create a flavorful sauce that elevates the chicken to a whole new level. The slow cooker is the perfect method of cooking this dish, as it allows the flavors to come together beautifully while you go about your day.
Not only is this recipe a quick and easy option for a weeknight meal, but it's also perfect for those special occasions or when you need something hearty and satisfying. The tender chicken, coated in a velvety sauce, served over a bed of perfectly cooked angel hair pasta, creates an elegant presentation that will make any dinner feel like a special occasion. Whether you're looking for a convenient weeknight meal or an impressive dish for entertaining, slow cooker angel chicken has got you covered!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The marrying of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and perfectly cooked angel hair pasta creates a winning flavor combination.
- With just a handful of common grocery store ingredients, you can whip up this impressive dish that tastes like it took hours to make, but in reality, it's as easy with minimal effort!
- Whether you're looking for a quick and satisfying weeknight meal or a stunning centerpiece for a special dinner, this recipe delivers on both fronts.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Yellow Onion - The diced yellow onion adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish.
- Chicken Breast - Serves as the star ingredient, providing a lean and tender protein source that absorbs the flavors of the sauce.
- Cream Cheese - Adds a creamy and velvety texture to the sauce while also imparting a subtle tanginess.
- Butter - Adds richness and enhances the overall flavor of the sauce, providing a smooth and velvety mouthfeel.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Serves as the base for the sauce, lending a creamy and savory element to the dish.
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth - Helps to thin out the sauce, ensuring it coats the chicken and pasta evenly.
- Italian Dressing Mix - A flavor powerhouse, adding a burst of herbs, spices, and tanginess to the dish, infusing it with a delicious Italian flair.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - Adds a nutty and salty element to the sauce, enhancing its richness.
- Minced Garlic - Provides a pungent and aromatic taste, infusing the sauce with a delicious hint of garlicky goodness.
- Angel Hair Pasta - Serves as the perfect pasta choice for this dish, with its delicate and thin strands that cook quickly and pair beautifully with the creamy sauce.
HOW TO MAKE ANGEL CHICKEN IN THE CROCK POT
Prepare the chicken and onions: Slice the onion and place it on the bottom of the crock pot. Trim off any excess fat from the chicken breast, then pat dry with a paper towel on both sides. Place the prepared chicken on top of the sliced onions.
Make the creamy sauce: Melt the cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl until it is able to be stirred. Add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, Italian dressing, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Whisk until well combined. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-7 hours.
Assemble dish: 15 minutes before the chicken is finished cooking, cook and drain the pasta according to the instructions on the box. Serve the cooked chicken and sauce over the angel hair pasta while hot. Enjoy!
- For maximum flavor, brown the chicken breasts in a skillet before placing them in the slow cooker. This extra step adds a beautiful caramelized exterior and enhances the overall taste of the dish.
- Garnish the finished dish with chopped fresh parsley or basil. The vibrant herbs not only elevate the presentation but also provide a burst of freshness that balances the richness of the sauce.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water until smooth, and then stir it into the sauce during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- To enhance the flavor of the Italian dressing mix, whisk it with a tablespoon of olive oil before adding it to the sauce. This step will help to unlock the full potential of the herbs and spices in the dressing mix.
- Opt for reduced-fat cream cheese and low-sodium options for both the cream of chicken soup and chicken broth for a dish lighter in calories and fat.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Transfer the cooled dish into an airtight container and refrigerate it. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, you may need to add a splash of chicken broth or water to the sauce to maintain its consistency.
Freezing: Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you're ready to enjoy it, thaw the frozen dish in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave, adding a little liquid if needed. Note that the pasta may soften slightly upon freezing and reheating.
Yes, it is safe to put raw chicken in a crock pot. Slow cooking at the appropriate temperature will fully cook the chicken and ensure it reaches a safe internal temperature of 165F.
There could be a few reasons why your chicken in the crock pot is still tough. One possibility is that it hasn't cooked long enough. Ensure that you follow the recommended cooking time in the recipe. Another reason could be using chicken breasts that are too large or thick. Consider using smaller or thinner chicken breasts or pounding them to an even thickness before cooking.
To make the sauce more creamy, you can add a bit more cream cheese or a splash of heavy cream to the sauce and stir until well incorporated. Another option is to whisk in a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch mixed with a tablespoon of cold water and cook the sauce for a few more minutes until it thickens and becomes creamier.
Crock Pot Angel Chicken
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Place the onions in the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot and put the chicken on top.
Add the cream cheese and butter to a microwave-safe medium bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until you can easily blend them. Then add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, Italian dressing, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Whisk until well combined.
Pour sauce over the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
Fifteen minutes before the chicken is done, cook the angel hair pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain.
Serve chicken over pasta covered in sauce, and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.