This Crock Pot Beefy Potato Taco Casserole is a comforting combination of tender ground beef, diced potatoes, and zesty taco seasoning, all cooked to perfection in a slow cooker! With simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can enjoy a full-flavored meal for a new family favorite.
Potato Taco Casserole is a comforting dish that brings together the savory goodness of beef, the creaminess of potatoes and sour cream, a kick from green chilies and tomatoes, and the zesty flavor of taco seasoning. It's a perfect fusion of Tex-Mex and classic casserole, resulting in a meal that is both satisfying and full of flavor!
The crock pot is the ultimate cooking method to make this easy casserole. The low and slow cooking process tenderizes the beef making it super tender while also infusing the potatoes with all the delicious seasonings. The crock pot also eliminates the need for constant monitoring and stirring, making it hassle-free. With just a few minutes of prep work, you can set it and forget it, letting the crock pot work its magic to have a full meal ready to go in just four hours or less!
One of the best things about this crock pot casserole recipe is how incredibly easy it is to assemble. The ground beef, onions, and garlic are cooked on the stovetop before being added to the crock pot. Then, it's just a matter of combining the remaining ingredients and mixing them together until well combined. Once everything is in the crock pot, you can set the timer in no time, you'll have a delicious and comforting meal. This makes it a perfect option for busy weeknights or for whenever you need a well-rounded meal that will satisfy your whole family!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Ground Beef - Serves as the flavorful protein base of the casserole, providing richness and a meaty texture.
- Yellow Onion & Garlic - Add aromatic depth and savory flavors to the dish, enhancing the overall taste profile.
- Diced Potatoes - Not only contribute to the heartiness of the casserole but also provide a creamy and starchy base.
- Rotel (tomatoes with green chilies) - Brings a tangy and slightly spicy kick to the casserole, adding a zesty flavor that complements the beef and potatoes.
- Canned Cheddar Cheese Soup - Adds a creamy and cheesy texture to the casserole, binding all the ingredients together.
- Sour Cream - Adds to the creaminess and tanginess of the dish, balancing out the flavors and providing a cooling flavor.
- Taco Seasoning - Brings a burst of vibrant flavors, infusing the dish with traditional taco seasonings like cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - Adds a gooey and melty topping to the casserole while enhancing the overall cheesiness and richness of the dish.
HOW TO MAKE BEEFY POTATO TACO CASSEROLE IN THE CROCK POT
Cook the beef and onions: Add a large skillet to the stovetop and turn to medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onions, and garlic. Break up with a spatula and cook until the meat is browned. Drain off any excess oil, then add the cooked meat mixture to the bottom of the crock pot.
Add remaining ingredients: Add the diced potatoes, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, taco seasoning, and half of the shredded cheddar. Mix until fully combined.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2½ hours.
Melt the cheese topping: Once fully cooked, sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese on top and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- For extra flavor and texture, brown the ground beef until it develops a nice caramelized crust. This step adds depth and richness to the meat and gives the casserole an even more beefy flavor.
- If you love bold and spicy flavors, choose a hot taco seasoning or add a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
- For a twist on presentation, layer the ingredients in the crock pot instead of mixing them together. Start with a layer of potatoes, followed by ground beef, onions, and garlic, and then repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used.
- Garnish the casserole with your favorite toppings, such as sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, or a dollop of sour cream.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Allow the casserole to cool completely. Transfer any leftovers into an airtight container and refrigerate them. The casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Once cooled, portion the casserole into freezer-safe containers or sealable freezer bags. Make sure to remove any excess air to prevent freezer burn. Label the containers with the date and freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
Reheating: Reheat individual portions in the microwave or heat the entire casserole in the oven at a low temperature until warmed through. Add a sprinkle of fresh cheese on top during reheating for an extra gooey and melty finish.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
- 1 lb ground beef (cooked)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
- 28 oz diced potatoes
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2½ cups cheddar cheese (shredded and divided)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onions, and garlic. Cook until meat is completely browned. Drain off excess grease and add to the Crock Pot.
Add potatoes, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, taco seasoning, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2½ hours.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.