Creamed corn is a staple in southern cooking. It's a simple dish that can be made with just a few ingredients, and it's perfect for any occasion!
Creamed corn is a dish made with whole kernel corn that is cooked in a cream sauce that usually contains cheese. It's a popular side dish in the south, and it's often served with entrees or as a standalone dish. The taste is creamy and rich, and the texture is smooth and comforting.
This recipe for slow cooker creamed corn is an easy way to make this dish using simple ingredients. The slow cooker does all the work for you, so all you have to do is sit back and enjoy! Serve this creamed corn with any entree or side dish, and enjoy the comfort of this southern classic.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It's easy! All you need to do is add the ingredients to the slow cooker and let it come together.
- Serve this creamed corn with any entree or side dish, and everyone will be happy.
- It's comfort food! The creamy texture and rich flavor is perfect for a cozy night in.
- Slow cooker cheddar corn is made with simple ingredients that can be found in any grocery store.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Whole Kernel Corn - You can easily find canned corn at any grocery store. It's inexpensive and has a sweet and salty taste.
- Milk - Helps keep the cream sauce rich and creamy.
- Sugar - Enhances the natural sweetness of the corn.
- Salt & Pepper - Balances and enhances the flavor of the overall dish.
- Onion Powder - Adds a light savory onion flavor throughout.
- Butter - Makes the corn and cream sauce smooth with a rich buttery flavor.
- Cream Cheese - Adds a tart and tangy taste and creamy texture to the sauce.
- Cheddar Cheese - Gives this dish a salty cheese contrast of flavor that puts it over the top!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMED CORN IN THE CROCK POT
Assemble the cream sauce: Add the drained corn, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder to the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker. Whisk the ingredients together until fully combined.
Add the cream cheese and butter: Add the cubed butter and cream cheese on top of the corn mixture evenly distributed.
Slow cook the creamed corn: Add the lid to cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours.
Add cheese: 15 minutes before the cooking time is completed, stir the cheese into the mixture until fully combined. Continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes before serving hot. Enjoy!
- When purchasing corn, make sure there isn't any other spices or flavors as this could throw off the taste of the dish.
- Ensure that the corn is well drained to keep the sauce nice and creamy.
- The butter and cream cheese are added on top so that they don't get overcooked and ruin the texture.
- You can use frozen corn for this recipe, just make sure to thaw it before adding it to the slow cooker.
- If you want a thinner consistency, feel free to add more milk until it reaches your desired thickness.
Storing: Cooled leftover creamed corn can be stored in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: To freeze, place cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer for up to six months. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat on the stove over low heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally. You can also reheat individual portions in the microwave. You may need to add a splash of milk to thin it out as it reheats.
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
In a 4-quart slow cooker, add drained corn, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix until well combined.
Place cream cheese and butter evenly over the corn.
Cover and cook on high and cook for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours
Fifteen minutes before cook time is complete, add cheddar cheese and mix until well combined. Cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
Serve while hot and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.