Nothing says the colder weather is here like a cup of hot chocolate! This recipe takes advantage of your crock pot to make a big batch for a crowd or to keep piping hot all day long. Simply throw all the ingredients in the crock pot and let it do its thing!
Using the crock pot is one of the best ways to make hot chocolate because it slowly simmering the mixture allows all the flavors to meld together perfectly. This also prevents the chocolate from scorching or burning on the bottom of the pot.
And because we are using a crock pot, this recipe is completely hands-off once everything is in the pot! So you can put your feet up and relax while your hot chocolate is simmering away.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It's made with just 6 ingredients, including REAL chocolate.
- No chemicals or preservatives like you may find in hot chocolate packets.
- This recipe is great for a holiday party or to serve a crowd.
- You can let it stay warm all day long in the crock pot, so its always ready to serve!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Milk - Makes up the creamy base of this warm drink.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Real chocolate adds a delicious flavor and richness to the drink.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - Gives the hot chocolate a deeper chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla Extract - For a little bit of fragrant vanilla flavor.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - Thickens the drink and adds a lovely sweetness.
- Heavy Cream - Adds a creamy, rich flavor while thickening the texture.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE IN THE SLOW COOKER
Add to crock pot: Measure all of your ingredients and add them to the bottom of the slow cooker. Stir until fully combined.
Slowly cook: Add the lid to the top and set the slow cooker to LOW for 2 hours or HIGH for 1 hour or until the chocolate has fully melted into the mixture.
Remove and serve: Ladle into mugs and top with marshmallows or whipped cream. Enjoy!
- To keep your hot chocolate warm, set your crock pot to a warm setting after removing it from the heat.
- When making hot chocolate from scratch, it's important to use good-quality chocolate. This will go a long way in giving your hot chocolate the best flavor.
- I recommend using a combination of milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate for this recipe. However, you can use all milk chocolate or all semi-sweet chocolate if that's what you have on hand.
- If you want richer hot chocolate, you can use heavy cream in place of some of the milk.
- To avoid any lumps in your hot chocolate, be sure to whisk the mixture well after each addition of milk.
- If you find that your hot chocolate is too thick, simply add more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- And if your hot chocolate is too thin, you can simmer it uncovered for a few minutes to thicken it up.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Any leftover hot chocolate can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing: Hot chocolate can also be frozen, although the texture will change slightly after being thawed. To freeze, simply transfer the cooled hot chocolate to a freezer-safe container or ice cube trays and store for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
You can combine milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate for more layers of chocolate flavor. Just make sure its good quality!
Yes, hot chocolate can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to serve, place the crock pot on the warm setting until warmed through.
If you find that your hot chocolate is too thin, you can simmer it uncovered for a few minutes to thicken it up. You can also add some cocoa powder or cornstarch to thicken, if needed.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
In a 6 quart crock pot, add milk, chocolate chips, condensed milk, vanilla, heavy cream, and cocoa power. Mix until well combined.
Cook on low for 2 hours or high for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally until the chocolate chips have completely melted.
Serve with mini marshmallows or whip cream on top and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.