Our favorite meals to make in the slow cooker are ones that have minimal ingredients, can be assembled quickly, and have a delicious taste and flavor that keep us coming back for more.
This easy recipe for crock pot chicken and gravy checks all of those boxes and more! The combination of slow-cooked chicken with savory gravy is a classic dish that screams comfort food. Make it a meal by serving it over fluffy rice or mashed potatoes.
It's great for when you need a hearty protein that will fill up the whole family without having to spend extra time prepping when you're short on time! This dump-and-go dinner can be served with your favorite side dishes like creamy mashed potaotes, green bean casserole, or a generous helping of creamed corn!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- A true dump-and-go dinner. This slow cooker chicken and gravy is an easy dump-and-go dish that you can throw together in five minutes or less.
- Made with just five ingredients. This 5-ingredient crock pot chicken and gravy requires only one pot and five simple ingredients that you likely have in your pantry.
- Serve with any side dish. Chicken and gravy go with just about any side dish, so you can easily customize this recipe for whatever you’re feeling that night!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Chicken Breast - This high-protein cut of chicken is truly satisfying and even better when slowly cooked until tender.
- Cream of Chicken Soup - Adds a creamy texture to the sauce along with even more rich chicken flavor.
- Chicken Gravy Mix - Adds a salty, savory flavor to the creamy gravy that coats the chicken.
- Seasonings, A mix of salt, ground black pepper, and onion powder, work together to enhance the flavor of the gravy and the chicken.
- Water - Used to thin out the gravy to create the perfect consistency.
HOW TO MAKE 5 INGREDIENT CHICKEN AND GRAVY IN THE CROCK POT
Prepare the chicken breast: Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breast. Pat it dry with paper towels, then layer it on the bottom of the crock pot.
Assemble the gravy: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the soup, water, gravy mix, and seasonings until well combined. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the crock pot.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and set the crock pot on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours until the chicken is cooked.
Shred and serve: Remove the chicken breast from the crock pot and transfer it to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, then stir the shredded chicken back in with the gravy. Serve warm with your favorite side dishes!
- While the chicken is cooking, it will release water. This liquid can thin out the gravy, so if you prefer a thicker consistency to your gravy, simply add some more chicken gravy mix.
- The chicken is finished cooking when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. To check, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast.
- Instead of shredding the chicken with two forks, you can use a stand mixer to make the job easier. Just place the chicken into the bowl of your stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to break it apart quickly!
- For the best flavor, allow the shredded chicken to absorb the gravy while it sits in the crock pot for a few minutes before serving.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Store any leftover chicken and gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Freezing: For longer storage, freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container and keep them frozen for up to three months.
Reheating: The best way to reheat chicken and gravy is in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat. Stir occasionally until it's hot and bubbly, about 10 minutes. You can also reheat leftovers in the microwave for a quick option!
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Place the chicken in the bottom of the Crock Pot.
Add soup, gravy, black pepper, onion powder, and water in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Then, pour over the chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Shred the chicken with two forks in the Crock Pot. Mix until chicken is coated in gravy.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.