Little smokies are mini sausage links that have become a popular appetizer. They get their name from the fact that they're cooked in a smoker, which gives them a unique flavor. The sausages are usually made of pork or beef and are about two inches long. You can find them in any grocery store and make them in many different ways!
In this recipe, the mini smoked sausages are paired with a simple sauce made with 6 simple ingredients creating a sweet, smoky, and salty flavor. Add everything to the slow cooker and let it do its magic!
In just a few hours, you'll have a delicious appetizer that's perfect for game day or any party. Serve them alongside some toothpicks, and enjoy!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The entire recipe is made with just 7 ingredients, most of which you may already have on hand!
- It's an easy way to feed a crowd an appetizer that takes little effort to make.
- You can adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- They're ready to go in just 3 hours or less!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Little Smokies Sausage Links - These mini cocktail weenies can be found in the cold section of your grocery store, near the hot dogs.
- BBQ Sauce - Use homemade or store-bought BBQ sauce to add a smoky flavor with a sweet twang.
- Brown Sugar - Helps thicken up the sauce and adds a rich sweet flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce - Gives the base of the sauce a salty umami flavor that pairs well with the sweet flavors.
- Seasonings - A mix of dried garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika enhances all the flavors in the dish.
HOW TO MAKE LITTLE SMOKIES IN THE CROCK POT
Add the sausages: Remove the smokies from their packages and place them at the bottom of your slow cooker.
Assemble the sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients including the brown sugar and spices to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk the sauce together until fully combined.
Pour on top: Pour the the sauce on top of the cocktail weenies in the crock pot and stir until well coated.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook for 2-3 hours on LOW or until the sausages and sauce are warm. Serve with toothpicks on the side. Enjoy!
- Make sure to whisk the sauce ingredients together until the brown sugar is fully dissolved.
- If you want a thicker sauce, mix together ¼ cup of cornstarch with an equal amount of cold water and stir it into the slow cooker 30 minutes before serving.
- The sausages can also be cooked on HIGH for about an hour and a half.
- BBQ sauce - Ketchup or chili sauce can be used as a substitute.
- Worcestershire sauce - Soy sauce, tamari, or Coconut aminos can be used as substitutes.
- Brown sugar - Maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar can be used as substitutes.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: If you have leftover cocktail weenies, once cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezing: To freeze, place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge then heat on the stove over low heat until warmed through.
There are many different ways to enjoy slow cooker little smokies! Serve them as is with toothpicks for an easy appetizer. Or, get creative and use them in other dishes like: salads, sandwiches, wrapped in bacon, or as a topping for pizza!
No, they are not the same thing. Little smokies are made with pork, beef, or turkey whereas hot dogs are usually just made with pork.
Yes! You can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a week. Or, you can fully cook the recipe and then reheat when ready to serve.
Yes! You can make slow cooker little smokies on the stovetop. Just cook over low heat until the sausages are heated through and the sauce is bubbly.
Crock Pot Little Smokies
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
Add little smokies sausage links to the bottom of a slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, add the remaining ingredients and whisk together until well combined. Then, pour the sauce over the sausage links.
Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours.
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.