Steak and potatoes are an iconic comfort food meal in many countries. This classic combination brings together the rich flavors of juicy steak and tender potatoes, creating a satisfying and hearty dish. Traditionally, steak and potatoes are prepared by searing the steak in a hot pan and then roasting the potatoes in the oven. When it comes to convenience and achieving optimal tenderness, making steak and potatoes in the slow cooker is the way to go!
This method allows the steak to become incredibly tender as it simmers low and slow, infusing the flavors of the onions, garlic, and steak seasoning. The potatoes, placed alongside the steak, absorb the savory juices, resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth texture. The slow cooker's gentle heat and extended cooking time work their magic, transforming simple ingredients into a satisfying meal!
The ease of use with the crock pot makes this dinner an excellent choice for both weeknight dinners and weekend meals. Simply toss the ingredients into the slow cooker, set it on low, and let it work its magic. Serve this dish with some tasty side dishes like Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole, Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese, or warm Crock Pot Cornbread. Whether you're looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or a weekend feast, this crock pot steak and potatoes recipe has got you covered!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- The melt-in-your-mouth tenderness of the slow-cooked steak combined with the perfectly seasoned potatoes creates a great flavor and texture combination.
- This recipe allows you to enjoy a stick-to-your-ribs comfort food meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
- This recipe uses sirloin steak, which is a budget-friendly cut of steak that also tastes just as good as a more expensive cut.
- Steak and potatoes can be served with a variety of different side dishes allowing you to customize it every time you make it.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Yellow Onions - Adds a sweet and savory flavor base to the dish, enhancing the overall taste.
- Green Beans - Brings a vibrant and crisp element to the recipe, adding a pop of color and providing a satisfying crunch.
- Sirloin Steak - Cubed sirloin steak is the star of the dish, providing a rich and meaty flavor. As it slowly cooks, the steak becomes incredibly tender.
- Petite Red Potatoes - Absorbs the flavors of the dish as they cook, becoming soft and creamy. They provide a comforting and substantial element to the meal.
- Melted Butter - Adds richness and a smooth texture to the recipe, enhancing the flavors of the steak, potatoes, and onions.
- Montreal Steak Seasoning - A robust blend of herbs and spices that adds depth and complexity to the dish. It provides a savory and slightly peppery flavor.
- Minced Garlic - Infuses the dish with its distinct aroma and adds a pungent and slightly sweet flavor.
HOW TO MAKE STEAK AND POTATOES IN THE CROCK POT
Prepare the ingredients: Prepare the vegetables by slicing the onion, washing the green beans, and removing the ends. Cube the steak into bite-sized pieces.
Arrange the ingredients: Spread the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker, then place the green beans on one side. Place the steak in the middle and then place the potatoes on the other side.
Make the seasoning: Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add the garlic and steak seasoning. Mix until well combined, then pour over the steak and vegetable mixture.
Cover and cook: Add the lid to the top and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or HIGH for 7-8 hours. Once everything is cooked through, plate and serve with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy!
- Cut the sirloin steak into bite-size pieces of uniform size. This will ensure that each piece cooks at the same rate and results in a consistently tender texture throughout the dish.
- To prevent the green beans from becoming too soft during the long cooking process, trim them to a manageable size and place them on one side of the crock pot. This way, they will still retain a slight crunch and vibrant color.
- Consider searing the cubed sirloin steak in a hot skillet before adding it to the slow cooker. This extra step will enhance the Maillard reaction, creating a caramelized crust and deepening the overall flavor.
- To ensure that the petite red potatoes cook evenly and retain their shape, wash them thoroughly and quarter them. This size is ideal for absorbing the flavors of the dish while maintaining a tender yet slightly firm texture.
STORING & FREEZING
Storing: Allow the dish to cool completely and transfer it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or warm them up in a skillet over medium heat, adding a splash of water or broth to prevent drying out.
Freezing: Allow the dish to cool completely, then separate into individual portions. Transfer each portion to a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the portions overnight in the refrigerator and reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through. Note that the texture of the potatoes may change slightly after freezing.
For optimal cooking, it's recommended to place the onions as the bottom layer, followed by the green beans on one side, the steak in the middle, and the potatoes on the other side. This arrangement allows the flavors to come together while ensuring even cooking.
Yes, you can cook raw steak in a crock pot. The slow cooking process will gradually cook the steak resulting in tender and flavorful meat.
For the crock pot, it's best to choose tougher cuts of steak that benefit from the low and slow cooking method. Cuts such as sirloin, chuck, or round steak work well as they become tender and flavorful with slow cooking.
Crock Pot Steak and Potatoes
Your Favorite Slow Cooker
- 1½ cups yellow onion diced
- ½ lb fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 1½ lbs sirloin steak (cubed into bite-size pieces)
- 1 lb petite red potatoes (washed and quartered)
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 1 tbsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic (minced)
Add the onions to the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot and place the green beans on one side.
Then, place the steak in the middle and the potatoes on the other side.
In a small bowl, add the melted butter, steak seasoning, and garlic. Whisk until well combined and pour over everything.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 7-8 hours.
Serve while hot and enjoy!
If you're tired of the same old dinner routine, you're in luck! Chef Ryan loves to create meals that are sure to impress your entire family. Whether you're a busy parent of just looking for an easy and delicious meal.